Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Words of Isaiah

There are some great verses in Isaiah, a few have really been on my heart lately.

Isaiah 40:28-31

 "Do you not know? 
Have you not heard? 
 The LORD is the everlasting God, 
the Creator of the ends of the earth. 
He will not grow tired or weary,
and His understanding no one can fathom.

 He gives strength to the weary 
       and increases the power of the weak.

 Even youths grow tired and weary, 
       and young men stumble and fall;

 but those who hope in the LORD 
       will renew their strength. 
       They will soar on wings like eagles; 
       they will run and not grow weary, 
       they will walk and not be faint."

Isaiah 52:7

" How beautiful on the mountains 

       are the feet of those who bring good news, 
       who proclaim peace, 
       who bring good tidings, 
       who proclaim salvation, 
       who say to Zion, 
       "Your God reigns!"

Isaiah 55:8-11

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, 

       neither are your ways My ways," 
       declares the LORD.

 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, 
       so are My ways higher than your ways 
       and My thoughts than your thoughts.

 As the rain and the snow 
       come down from heaven, 
       and do not return to it 
       without watering the earth 
       and making it bud and flourish, 
       so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,

 so is My word that goes out from My mouth: 
       It will not return to Me empty, 
       but will accomplish what I desire 
       and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."


The entire passages are awesome, but those verses specifically I have really been reflecting on.

For Isaiah 40:28-31 

I always used to read this verse and only relate it to physical tiredness, but now I see that it can relate to a lot of different fatigues. Spiritual, physical, emotional. I was off work Sunday-Tuesday, but before that, I worked 11 straight days opening the store, which means I had to be there at 4:45 in the morning. Can you imagine - 11 days working and getting up before the crack of dawn. As well as that, I was finishing up Perspectives on the World Christian Movement, a nationwide class that was offered at Mclean Bible Church this semester that I was the prayer coordinator and one of the graders for. I also was focusing on putting together the Katrina presentation for the team meeting. I also was having painful stomach aches on and off for almost two weeks and had to schedule an appointment when I really didnt feel I had the time (that turned out fine btw). I barely had time to think, was stressed out and really tired. However, I really saw God pull me through that week and a half. I kept my focus, didnt complain, prayed a lot, and somehow, the week went by much smoother than I had expected it would. and I praise God because He really helped me remain joyful and strong at work even though I could have understandably complained and been grumpy. But I knew that that would not honor God and as I trusted in Him, He helped me towards the end, to not only have strength to walk (which some days I felt I needed) but to soar like an eagle. I know that we have all had weeks where we got little sleep, worked a ton, and felt like it was never gonna end. In these times, if we focus on God and rely completely upon Him not only for physical strength, but also a steadfast heart and the joy and peace of Christ, He will help us to go farther than we could have expected. 

For Isaiah 52:7

God has given us beautiful feet. These feet are beautiful at College Park, in our homes, on the streets, in Starbucks, wherever we go. And in a few days, they will be beautiful in New Orleans. Often people will see Christ in us because of Christ's light shining through us, will see goodness and love, will see a difference in us. But do they know what they are seeing? Even if they see Christ, they have spiritual blindess. I pray that our beautiful feet would carry us to people so that our lips would speak truth, love and proclaim Christ as Lord and Savior! :)

For Isaiah 55:8-11

God has given us His Word, and it will not go back to Him without first being proclaimed here on earth - that is our responsibility and our privilege and joy :)  Also, I know that I can sometimes think that something has to be this way or that way, when really God has a completely different idea. For example, we voted on whether to greyhound to NOLA or drive there, and God said no to both. There is a purpose that God has for us to be flying. That is His way. Why are we flying? who knows, but I do know one thing - this is a great opportunity to share our faith on the airplane :)  The Gospel goes with us wherever we go :)

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment