Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 1 - Je Suis Fatiguee

I was talking to Georgia earlier about how tired I was today and how guilty I felt. Cuz I wanted so much to work really hard and sort all the clothes. I felt bad cuz Rachel was doing such a good job at being a diligent hard worker, but I was just tired and to be honest, I just wasnt into it. So I took a 20 minute nap. and then later a took a 20 minute nap which turned into an hour and a half long nap. when I woke up, Tayo Nina Avery Georgia and Abeena were back, and Charles was gone.I just felt really bad about how I slept when I should have been working and that Charles left when I was napping, and that everyone else was doing a lot more physical work than me like trimming and painting for hours on end - so why should I be tired. But Georgia was telling me that there is physical rest, and there is spiritual rest, and just taking that time to rest in God will renew our strength. She said that yeah we have come here to serve, but it is also okay to rest. That was really encouraging to hear. And I think sometimes I do try to find my rest and energy in sleep and food alone. But the truth is, our real rest is from God. Praise the Lord. It does say in Psalm 28:7 "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song."
I think that just taking some time to pray and read some Scripture in the morning and throughout the day is really important. And trusting in God for EVERYTHING - including not just energy and strength but excitement joy and passion is vital.

I have to say that it has only been two full days but already it has been awesome. I thought it was really cool that we were able to have a free day as a team on the beginning of the trip so we could get to know each other some more. Most trips that I've gone on (well there is only one other) the free day is towards the end. But I thought it was cool for us to get some rest, hang out together and get a feel of the place. And today, we have already been bonding a lot and I'm really really really excited to bond a lot more and grow so much closer as a team.

2 comments:

  1. Katie I don't think you should feel that way at all. I think everyone has different gifts and there are different ways God is going to use each and everyone one of us. I think you did a great job today evangelizing :)

    -Tayo

    ReplyDelete