Sunday, May 17, 2009

Do not worry...

It wasn't till this weekend it really dawned on me that we're leaving as a group THIS Saturday to New ORLEANS! And of course my mind starts thinking at over hundred miles per hour, although we've been preparing for over a month. What are we going to do? Are we going to be safe? Are people to be open about hearing the gospel?... I then picked up my bible and then played the "close your eyes and open a passage game" hoping God would lead me to a scripture (I'm sure we've all played that game at some point). Didn't work on the first try; realized reading about Jerobaom rebelliousness was certainly not in context at the moment. On my second try I was led to Matthew 5:25-34 which talked about not worrying. I was thinking a ha! There you go God, this was exactly what I needed. I've read this passage so many times before but really saw it in a new light. It starts by saying:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air, they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they....But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, an all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

One word. Amazing.

Then today I happened to pass by these black bags that appeared to be trash bags NOT in a trash can. One step closer and a myriad of birds came flying out of those bags. Startled at first, but then I began to chuckle. Apparently God made some humans to have a party this weekend and leave all this food laying around for these birds to eat. Yes He's AMAZING! I'm not worried any longer, more excited about the possibilities and opportunities for us to be used mightily by God in this city.

New Orleans here we come!!!

-Tayo F.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! THAT WAS GREAT! Real talk. The last part is hilarious tho. God is awesome man, and funny too. Thanks for the blog Tayo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for putting in your thoughts, and yeah, God is funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to add that my favorite part of that passage is "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

    This is also like the Lord's prayer in a way. In the Lord's prayer, which part comes first? Is it the prayers where we present our requests to God or the prayers that are spent praising God and praying for His will? It is the latter. Because...when we really change our focus on life and begin living to glorify God and make His name known and have passion about His worship and His praise, then we begin to stop worrying about ourselves. If we really looked at the first part of the Lord's prayer and seriously prayed that God's name would be hallowed and His Kingdom come, we could easily spend our whole prayer time just praising Him.
    Our purpose should be everyday to know HIM more and make HIM known. I urge us all, myself included, to seek the face of Christ, to seek God and His Kingdom and His righteousness. To passionately pursue Christ and pursue Christ being known in the entire world.
    God has been faithful in helping me overcome different fears, anxieties, stresses, worries in my life. But when did I really overcome them? When I stopped thinking about them. Not that we shouldnt go to God with our concerns - He tells us to (1 Peter 5:7, Matthew 11:28-30), but when we stop thinking about them and truly fix our eyes on our glorious King, they kinda just go away.
    Thanks again Tayo for this blog :)
    :)

    ReplyDelete